A few stats about mobile ecommerce:
- According to Shopify, mobile traffic now accounts for 50% of visits, and about 35% of purchases.
- During the 2018 holiday season, about a third of online purchases came from smartphone users. On Black Friday, with 6.2 billion in online revenue, 40% of sales came via a mobile device. During Cyber Monday (7.9 billion), 54% of visitors and 30% of purchases came from mobile devices.
- 80% of shoppers used a mobile phone inside of a physical store to either look up product reviews or compare prices.
- According to BigCommerce, mobile ecommerce sales are expected to account for 54% of total ecommerce sales by 2021.
- According to Google from 2018 data, if people have a negative experience on mobile, they’re 62% less likely to purchase from your store in the future. And based on 2017 data, a one second delay in mobile load times can lower mobile conversions by up to 20%.
Below are some of the best practices I already talked about which are specifically for mobile:
- Consolidate your mobile header (see #1 and #16)
- Test a link bar (see #2)
- Add a sticky CTA bar (see #7)
- Make your menu items big enough (see #8)
- Simplify your menu (see #9)
- Make the burger menu easy to close (see #15)
- Avoid full-page popups that interrupt the shopping experience (see #26)
- Choose readable font sizes (see #31)
- Add zooming capability to product galleries (see #49)
- Add a sticky Add to Cart bar or button in the Product page (see #68)
- Simplify breadcrumbs (see #101)
Optimize your forms for mobile:
In the checkout form, use field labels instead of placeholder text (see #121)
Make fields full-width so that they’re easy for both righties and lefties
Make fields tall enough (about 44 px)
Implement an Address Finder (see #123) to auto-complete the address and not force them to type it all
- Show the appropriate keyboard based on the field type (see #117)
- Ask for the minimal amount of information (see #115)
This Shopify article is a good starting point to think about your mobile or mobile-responsive site.